PhD Dissertation 2016
Music, Space and Ritual in Medieval Castile, 1221-1350, Universität Würzburg, 2016.
Passed with honours: OPUS EXIMIUM - SUMMA CUM LAUDE.
· "Insights into the Chronology and Reception of Philippe de Vitry’s Ars nova Theory,"
Early Music, 46/3 (2018), Philippe de Vitry and the Ars nova Special Issue, pp. 417-438.
· "The Production of Polyphonic Manuscripts in Thirteenth-Century Paris: New Evidence for Standardised Procedures,”
Early Music History, 37 (2018), pp. 91-139 (with Gregorio Bevilacqua and Nuria Torres)
· "Nuns, Polyphony, and a Liégeois Cantor: New Light on the Las Huelgas 'Solmization Song',"
Journal of the Alamire Foundation, 9 (2017), pp. 89-133.
· "The Customary of the Royal Convent of Las Huelgas of Burgos: Female Liturgy, Female Scribes,"
Medievalia, 20/1 (2017), pp. 91-160.
· "Thirteenth-Century Organistae in Castile,"
Orgelpark Research Reports #4 (2017), pp. 105-140.
· "The 'Codification' of Latin Song in Early 12th-century Aquitania,"
proceedings of the Conference Cantus Planus 2014 (IMS), forthcoming.
· "Medieval Polyphony in the Cathedral of Sigüenza,"
Studi Musicali, 5/1 (2014), pp. 41-82.
· "Mozarabic preces in Ars Nova Notation: A New 14th-century Fragment Recently Discovered,"
coauthored with Carmen Julia Gutiérrez, Plainsong and Medieval Music, 22/2 (1013), pp. 153-167.
· "Late Medieval Strung Keyboard Instruments: New Reflections and Attempts at Reconstruction",
coauthored with Paul Poletti, Journal of the Alamire Foundation, 4 (2012), pp. 145-159.
· "Ars Subtilior en Toledo? Un vestigio en el códice M1361 de la Biblioteca Nacional de España,"
Anuario Musical, 66 (2011), pp. 3-46.
· "Arqueología virtual de manuscritos: tecnología digital avanzada,"
coauthored with Carmen Julia Gutiérrez, Cuadernos de Música Iberoamericana, 20/2 (2010), pp. 37-48.
· Music, Space and Ritual at Las Huelgas of Burgos, 1200-1350,
Lucca: LIM - Libreria Musicale Italiana (forthcoming in summer 2018).
· Tropen zu den Antiphonen der Messe aus Quellen aquitanischer Herkunft [11th-c. sources],
Corpus Monodicum, Abt. III, Bd. 2, Basel: Schwabe Verlag.
· Lieder aus Quellen des 12. Jahrhunderts, co-edited with Konstantin Voigt,
Corpus Monodicum, Abt. IV, Basel: Schwabe Verlag.
· The Manuscript Add. 36881 of the British Library, Introductory Study and Facsimile Edition,
DIAMM Publications, Oxford.
· "History and Historiography of a Composite Manuscript from Saint Martial of Limoges," paper presented at the conference Le rayonnement des arts au Moyen Âge: Réflexions autour du ms. aquitain Paris, BnF, latin 1139, Paris (France), March 19-21, 2019
· "The Persistence of Ars antiqua Polyphony into 14th-century Castile," paper presented at the conference Ars Antiqua III: Music and Culture in Europe, c1150-c1330, Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini, Lucca (Italy), November 30-December 2, 2018
· "Architectural Space and Ceremony at Las Huelgas of Burgos," invited paper, conference Art, Music and Ceremony in Meieval Castile, Trinity College, University of Cambridge (UK), October 29, 2018
· "Female Scribes at the Royal Convent of Las Huelgas of Burgos," paper presented at the Leeds International Medieval Congress, University of Leeds (UK), July 2-5, 2018
· “Writing Music History of Late Medieval Iberia through Fragmentary Sources,” invited paper, international conference Disiecta Membra Musicae, Magdalen College, University of Oxford (UK), March 19-21, 2018
· "The Staging of Female Power in Medieval Castile," invited paper, international conference Power, identities and images of cities: Music and ceremonial books in Western Europe, from the Middle Ages to Modernity, Universidad de Málaga (Spain), December 1-2, 2017
· "Instruments of Theory and Theory of Instruments in the Middle Ages,"
keynote sponsored by Cornell University and presented at the American Musicological Society’s History of Theory Study Group conference Instruments of Music Theory, Rochester, NY (USA), November 8-9, 2017.
· "Insights into the chronology of Philippe de Vitry’s ars nova theory," invited paper, conference-workshop Ars Nova Chronology, City University of New York, NY (USA), November 5, 2017.
· "Architectural Space and Liturgical Topography at Las Huelgas of Burgos," invited paper, international conference Lo spazio nei monasteri femminili medievali: Società, cultura, arte e liturgia, University of Padua (Italy), October 20-21, 2017.
· "Tarragona Fragments of Ars Nova Polyphony and Mensural Music," paper presented at Medieval and Renaissance Music International Conference (MedRen), Prague (Czech Republic), July 4-8, 2017.
· "The Lost Ars Nova Library of Poblet," invited paper, International Symposium on Late Medieval and Early Renaissance Music at Kloster Neustift/Novacella (Italy), July 26-30, 2017.
· "Music for the Van Straten Organ: The Perugia Organ Tablature (15th century)," invited paper, international colloquium Medieval Organ Art, Amsterdam University – Orgelpark (The Netherlands), March 18, 2017.
· "Aquitanian Sources of 11th- and 12th-century Latin Song Reconsidered," invited paper, international conference Medieval Latin Song from c. 800 to c. 1200 AD, University of Cambridge, Pembroke College (UK), July 2, 2016.
· "Codex Faenza 117, and the 15th-century hammered clavisimbalum," invited paper, international conference Cembalophilia: Hidden Histories of the Harpsichord, Berkeley, CA (USA), sponsored by Cornell University – Westfield Center for Historical Keyboard Studies, June 6-8, 2016.
· "The Las Huelgas Codex Revisited: Dating and Scribal Aspects," paper presented at the Medieval and Renaissance Music International Conference (MedRen), Brussels (Belgium), July 6-9, 2015.
· "Medieval Polyphony in Spain: A New Panorama of Sources," invited paper, international symposium at the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis Iberian Polyphony in the Middle Ages: New Sources, New Hypotheses, Basel (Switzerland), May 8-9, 2015.
· "Ex tempore and the Buxheimer Orgelbuch," invited paper, international symposium at the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis Reworkings: Music re-elaboration and cultural context, Basel (Switzerland), November 20-23, 2014.
· "The Role of Material Philology in the Process of Editing Aquitanian Versus," paper presented at the conference Cantus Planus (International Musicological Society), Venice (Italy), July 28-31, 2014.
· "A New Identification of a Musical Example Quoted by Anonymous of St. Emmeram (1279)," invited paper, Montpellier 8. International Conference at St Hugh’s College, University of Oxford (UK), March 20-21, 2014.
· "Ars Antiqua in Castile: A New Panorama of Sources," paper presented at the conference Cantum pulcriorem invenire. Music in Western Europe, 1150-1350, University of Southampton (UK), September 9-11, 2013.
· "Iberian Sources c.1300-50," invited paper, International Symposium on Late Medieval and Early Renaissance Music at Kloster Neustift/Novacella, Novacella (Italy), June 24-29, 2013.
· "The Organ in Medieval Spain," invited paper, international conference The Medieval ‘Van Straten Organ’ at the Orgelpark as a Historical Document, Orgelpark – Amsterdam University (The Netherlands), June 6-8, 2013.
· "The 15th-century hammered clavisimbalum: New reflections and attempts at reconstruction," invited paper, Bergen Medieval Music Days Conference, University of Bergen – Grieg Academy (Norway), September 13, 2012.
· "Ars Nova Polyphony in Cistercian Monasteries: New Sources," paper presented at Medieval and Renaissance Music International Conference (MedRen) in collaboration with Dominique Gatté, Nottingham (UK), July 7-11, 2012.
· "14th-century Manuscript Fragments Recently Discovered in Barcelona, Mundó Archive," paper presented at Medieval and Renaissance Music International Conference (MedRen) in collaboration with Carmen Julia Gutiérrez, Barcelona (Spain), July 5-8, 2011.
· "DIAMM in Spain: Digitization and Virtual Restoration of Medieval Manuscripts," invited paper, international symposium Plus Oultre, University of Zürich (Switzerland), March 25-26, 2011.
· "New Light on the Manuscript Barcelona, Biblioteca de Catalunya, M971," invited paper, Giornate di Studi L’Ars Nova Italiana del Trecento, Certaldo (Italy), September 13-14, 2008.
· Institute for Advanced Studies, Siebold Collegium, Würzburg (Germany), "Sound and Sense in Trecento Music: A Lecture-Recital," with M. Lopatin, February 13, 2019.
· Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA), "15th-century Technology and the Rise of Keyboard Instruments," September 27, 2018.
· Cornell University (USA), "The Keyboards and Cosmos of Arnaut de Zwolle," lunch discussion sponsored by Cornell Program in Medieval Studies, November 7, 2017.
· University of Oxford, All Souls College (UK), guest lecture at the Medieval and Renaissance Music Seminar organized by Margaret Bent: "Polyphonic Music and Royal Liturgy in 13th-century Castile," December 1, 2016.
· Université de Louvain (Belgium), guest lecture "Polyphonic Music and Royal Liturgy in 13th-century Castile," February 24, 2016.
· University of Bristol (UK), guest lecture-recital "15th-century Keyboard Music," November 17, 2015.
· Schola Cantorum Basiliensis (Switzerland), guest lecture at the Kontrapunktwerkstatt "Wortlose Kontrapunkte," May 9-10, 2014.
· Université de Montpellier (France), guest lecture "Nouvelles sources de polyphonie médiévale en Espagne," April 17, 2014.
· The Ohio State University, Columbus (USA), guest lecture "Early 14th-century controversies on music," March 3, 2014.
· MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston (USA), guest lecture-recital "15th-century Technology and the Hammered clavisimbalum," March 12, 2014.
· University of Oxford, All Souls College (UK), guest lecture at the Medieval and Renaissance Music Seminar organized by Margaret Bent "New clues on the development of mensural music in Spain," November 7, 2013.
· Summer School of Early Music, Prachatice (Czech Republic), guest lecture "15th-century Organology," July 17, 2010.
Workshops and master-classes
· Aix-Marseille Université (France),
Reading Workshop at the 2-day Interdisciplinary Seminar "Inside the Nunnery: Objects, Practices and Spaces of Medieval and Early Modern Female Spirituality," May 31-June 1, 2018
· Yale Institute of Sacred Music (Yale University, USA),
6-day Study Trip: talks on music, liturgy and ritual at Toledo Cathedral, San Juan de los Reyes, Burgos Cathedral, and Las Huelgas, May 23-28, 2018
· Hochschule für Musik Würzburg (Germany),
Workshop "Introduction to the Gothic Organ," January 28, 2018
· University of Prague – Academy of Performing Arts (Czech Republic),
3-day workshop: "Faenza Codex 117: Keyboard Music in Trecento Italy," October 1-3, 2016.
· Schola Cantorum Basiliensis (Switzerland),
2-day workshop: "Iberian Polyphony" [vocal ensemble], May 6-7, 2015.
· Haute école de musique de Genève (Switzerland),
4-day master-class: 15th-century vocal/instrumental ensemble music, March 2-5, 2015.
· University of Oregon, Eugene, OR (USA),
2-day seminar: "Iberian Sources of Medieval Polyphony," May 29-30, 2014.
· Conservatorium van Amsterdam (The Netherlands),
3-day master-class: 14th- and 15th-c. vocal/instrumental ensemble music, November 26-28, 2012.
· International Seminar of Early Music, Albarracín (Spain),
4-day workshop: "Ars Subtilior" [lectures and vocal/instrumental ensemble], November 9-12, 2011.
· Universidad Complutense de Madrid (Spain),
4-days workshop: "Digital Restoration of Medieval Manuscripts," March 1-4, 2011.
· University of Bergen – Grieg Academy (Norway),
1-day seminar: "Late Medieval Instrumental Music," September 7, 2009.
· Universidad de Gijón – Festival de Música Antigua de Gijón (Spain),
7-day course: "The Ars Nova in Spain" [lectures and vocal/instrumental ensemble], July 22-28, 2008.
· Conservatorio Superior de Música de Sevilla (Spain),
3-day workshop: "Ars Subtilior" [lectures and vocal/instrumental ensemble], March 7-9, 2008.